anselm's day

Friday, September 09, 2005

Hurricane & the Psalms

As I pray the Psalms, I continue to be reminded of what Katrina has wrought & what must have gone through the minds of some in the midst of the storm.

Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
I am stuck in bottomless mud;
I am adrift in deep waters and the flood is sweeping me away.
I am exhausted with crying out, my throat is parched,
my eyes are failing as I look out for my God.
* * *
But I turn my prayer to you, Lord, at the acceptable time, my God.
In your great kindness, hear me, and rescue me with your faithful help.
Tear me from the mire, before I become stuck;
tear me from those who hate me;
tear me from the depths of the waters.
Do not let the waves overwhelm me;
do not let the deep waters swallow me;
do not let the well's mouth engulf me.
-- Psalm 69 (Grail translation)
+ pax


 
advantage
advantage